Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 61, Week 9







Today was so fun! During my first grammar class, we talked a lot about the weird and strange kinds of tacos they eat here (tongue, brain, tail, stomach, etc.) and just had good conversation. In my culture class, we made a shrine for the "Dia de Los Muertos", Day of the Dead celebration. Day of the Dead is kinda of like Halloweeen for us, but they are more focused on the actual meaning of the holiday. Mexican people are very close to the meaning of death and cherish it in a positive way, unlike what I am used to. On November 2, they celebrate by visiting the tumbs of their loved ones and spending the entire night eating and drinking with their spirits. I'm pretty excited for this holiday because it's such a different celebration for us, I want to learn all about it! On our shrine, there is "papel picado" which is tissue paper that is cut into different Mexican symbols, skulls that are made out of sugar, candles, a cross made of salt to attract the spirits, tequila, food, and special flowers for the Day of the Dead. It was a great time putting it all together and the whole class joined in.

After school, I came home and laid out in the sun and read some more of my books and worked on my essay. It's coming along, slow but steady! I got my bag packed for Cancun tomorrow! I have a taxi coming for me at 6 a.m. so I will be up early for sure. I'm soo excited!! I'm going to take a lot of pictures, because my first teacher told me my homework for the Monday was to present the class with a little something on Cancun since nobody in the class, including her, has been there.

I went out tonight with some of my friends to a little pub for my drinks. At 12:00 all the guys and some of the girls stood up and gave me a hug and a mexican kiss on the cheek to wish me a happy birthday. It was great. :) I'm soo excited to go to Cancun tomorrow it's crazy! I will have a great weekend and let you know all about it when I get back! :)

-Whitney
I'M 21!!! ahhh

No comments:

Post a Comment