Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 84, Week 12





















Saturday, November 13

On Saturday, Allison and I woke up early to meet Jenny and Tara at a bus stop to go to the center. We had to take another bus from the center to get to the bus terminal which is in Tlaquepaque, a little outside of Guadalajara. When we got to the terminal, we bought our tickets for Leon which was where Jenny and Tara's "cousin" lives instead of Guanajuato which is about a half hour from Leon and then had a little bit of time so we walked around and found a little taco place so we had a little to eat. I put some kind of salsa on mine that was so hot I was starting to cry and couldn't even taste the tacos anymore! We walked back to the terminal and found our bus after that. They were some pretty nice buses and so I was bound to sleep and get some rest to try to ward off my cold. It took about 3 hours to get to Leon so I knew I'd have lots of time. I woke up when we were getting into the town and it started to get really bumpy and when that happens it's never good because I get car sick pretty easily. At least I know how to time it out for when I get sick so I can just get to the bathroom when I need to. :) When we got to the terminal in Leon, Tara called Marco, the cousin and he came to get us.

We went right to Guanajuato when he picked us up which took about 30 minutes with all the traffic. The two towns are really close to mountains, so they really reminded me of Tucson, AZ when I was there. Guanajuato is SOO beautiful and very colonial-like, placed partially on a hillside. It made me think I was in Italy or something. First, we went to the Museum of the Mummy's from Guanajuato! It was definitely a first time experience for that. It was just a small museum that had mummies that had been extracted from their tumbs and are now being preserved in this museum. There were mummies of people of all ages, including a pre-natal baby and its mother! I couldn't believe how old some of them were and still had hair, eyelashes, and some of the mummy's skin was still well kept without any holes.

After the museum, we drove down into the town so we could walk around. We wanted to walk to the top of the hill to see this statue called "Pipila" so we had to walk up these super steep stairs through the houses for about 15 minutes to get there. It was SUCH a beautiful sight when we got to the top! We could see the entire town! The houses are all different colors and Marco told us that your house color gets chosen by the government and they also paint it too. We took a bunch of pictures up there until it got dark out and then we walked back down to have dinner. We ate at a small restaurant and it took for ever to get our food, but it was pretty good in the end!

After dinner we walked around for a little bit and did a little shopping. We stopped at a candy store where I bought a couple different things for the family to try when I get back. :) We didn't stay in the town very long before we got back to the car and headed back for Leon. Marco lives in a small development in a really nice apartment with another roommate. Us 4 girls got to share 2 bedrooms so it worked out really nice. Marco had a Weimaraner named Lua that was also very excited to share her house with us! Marco went out that night and we stayed home because we were all so tired. It was an awesome day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment