Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 74, Week 11











Yesterday was so awesome!!

First off, it was our first day of new classes so I got to school and checked out which classes I was going to be in. I had signed up for an International Business and a Mexican Literature class but only 2 people were listed to be in them and you need 5 to open a class, so I was thinking I wasn't going to be able to take those classes. Sure enough, when I checked out all the class lists, I wasn't on any of them, along with several other people. We had to go to the Academic Dept and get signed up for other classes. After about an hour of deciding and figuring it all out, I finally picked a Mexican Cinema class and a conversation class. My classes will now be from 11-3 so I can sleep in or whatever in the morning! I just hope I don't fall asleep in the movie class. :p Both of them seemed like they were going to be ok classes, it's just that this session seems so different to me, but I don't know why. It's hard to believe I only have 5 weeks left.

After class I went home for lunch which was pretty good. Our mom brought Allison and I into this computer programming workplace that is just down the street to show us their altars for the Day of the Dead they made. I think each department made one and they had a contest. They were really well done, but it was a little awkward to be walking around this place with everyone working and staring at us like "why are they here?"-haha When we went back home, I took a nap to rest up for the big concert!

My nap was very worth it because I felt ready to go once I woke up. I got ready for the concert and took a bus over to Jenny's house. I think I could say it was the most embarrassing bus ride I have taken so far in Guadalajara. When I got on, the driver took off and was handing me my "receipt" so I was hanging on the to pole right next to his chair. I guess I wasn't ready for him to make a big jerking move because he did, and I almost fell over backwards from it! It was really embarrassing and of course, there were a lot of people on the bus. So I re-cooperated and walked toward the middle of the bus where I hung on for dear life to the bars overhead. But, I guess that wasn't enough either, because all of a sudden another jerk came and I stumbled a little and stepped on some guy who was standing next to me talking on the phone! Oh my god by this time I just wanted my stop to come so badly because it was terrible! I finally got to my stop and quickly walked to Jenny's house to tell her-haha.

David picked us up shortly after and Jordi, who is Mi Die's brother was coming with. David asked me to make sure if I had my ticket and I was like "oh my god no I don't have it!!" I was thinking to myself the whole afternoon that I can't forget my ticket and I should put it in my purse, but I didn't and I forgot it. So we had to drive back to my house so I could get it. ugh! But then we were off to the concert!! We got to the "fair" where it was held. It was all part of the Celebrations of October and the "auditorium" was in the middle of a fair so to speak. As we were walking to stand in line, I missed a curb and didn't another little trip into a bunch of people yelling "careful!" to me. Oh dear lord... We got there early and there wasn't too many people standing in line and we didn't have to wait that long either which was great. Once we got inside, it looked just like a fair or something. We walked into the auditorium where the concert was going to be and found our seats. It was like a circular grandstand with a small ring in the middle where Cock Fighting was happening! Our teachers and other people had told us there would be rooster's fighting before the concert, but I guess I wasn't ready for the experience. There was a tournament of them that went on for probably 3-4 hours. I only actually watched a couple of them, because it was really gross and brutal to me. They actually killed a rooster in the end! yuck.. Jenny and I went to get something to eat and then we only had to wait a couple more hours for the concert to start. They were due to come on at midnight! We watched it all being set up and they started at about 12:30. The band, Camila is a band from Mexico that plays ballad music, so most of it is slow and has lots of romantic stories to it with violin and cello accompaniment. IT WAS WONDERFUL!! I have been listening to their songs lately so I can get used to them, but I only actually know one of their songs that is always a big hit at all of our parties to sing.. and they played that once TWICE! :) They played for almost 2 hours and it was all fabulous! David drove us home and I got back around 3:45!

Excellent Concert!
-Whitney
*31 days*

No comments:

Post a Comment