Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 10, Week 2






Wow! Today was an awesome day. :)

School went well like usual. It's really fun to talk about the differences between the different countries and cultures that are represented in my class. After school, we had lunch and I took a nap because I wasn't feeling well. The nap was very refreshing so after we went to the gym for a while. We didn't have a lot of time because we were going to the orphanage at 5 o' clock.

On our walk to the school for the orphanage, we passed by the car wash where the older man is always talking to me. He came up to me right away and gave me a kiss on the cheek which is the normal Mexican salutation, but just very different from what I'm used to. We took a bumpy 30 minute bus ride to the orphanage which was on the outer part of Guadalajara with the main guy at my school, Javier. The orphanage has 80 very energetic boys ages 4-12! It was one of the best experiences I have EVER had. These little boys just wanted to be hugged and held and talked to. They loved it when we gave them piggy-back rides and swung them around circles! I took a ton of pictures there but will post them up soon. (my camera is dead!) They Loved my camera and all wanted to take pictures of everything. It was so great to talk to them in Spanish and be able to understand them. I think we are going to go every week to hang out for a little bit. Javier told us about different projects they have done there and would like us to think of something we can do for them. Any suggestions?

We hustled back from the orphanage to have dinner, because it was our friend Tara's birthday and we made plans to go out. We talked with our mamá for a while after dinner and then I got ready to leave. It was pouring out so we were soaked by the time we got to the school to meet. We waited and waited but neither Tara nor her roommate Jenny showed up so we started walking home. We were on our street when we heard people yelling our names. It was the girls with Tara's Mexican friend from school! We got in the car with them and went out for drinks and tacos. It was SO much fun talking with Fernando, the friend, and enjoying everyone's company.

Tomorrow we're going to some museum after school so I'm exited for that!

SUCH A GREAT DAY!
Buenos noches,
-Whitney

1 comment:

  1. Whitney--you can definitely tell those little guys are loving the attention you give them. What an awesome experience you are having! I am so proud of you! Love, Momma

    ReplyDelete