Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 2, Week 1






This morning I woke up and my roommate arrived when I got out of the shower! We had breakfast together and then our mama walked us to the school. It is about 10 minutes to the school, so it's not bad at all. When we got there, she gave us both hugs and kisses-haha. It was like we were in Kindergarten again! ;)

We got some amazing OJ at the school and sat down in this theater for an orientation. There is going to be so much to do through the school! We have our classes, of course, and then there is volunteering at an orphanage that I'm going to do twice a week and also an opportunity to volunteer at a hospital. You can sign up for dancing and art workshops, take day tours throughout the city, and weekend excursions to places like Guanajuato, Tlaquepaque, and Puerto Vallarta. I'm really excited for all of this and hope I get to go on a bunch of them! We took our proficiency tests that were oral and written to see which levels of Spanish we were at and then we came home.

Megan, my roommate, Michelle, our neighbor a couple blocks down, and I walked home and had lunch. We were pretty bored most of the day, but we walked to the pharmacy which was an adventure in itself. We got a little lost so we stopped twice to ask for directions, but the people spoke so fast I could only understand probably about half of it. haha. We came back to like 5 people eating at our house. It was really weird and we don't know who they were but it almost felt like we were at a cafe haha. We both took naps and hung out before dinner.

After dinner we took another adventure to try to find the mall to look for cell phones, etc, but after like a half hour and pretty much coming to a dead end we decided to turn back around. It was so weird because we heard sirens coming to I waited and waited to see the police or something and there was nothing, it was like a big black van. I think the people here just put random sounds into their cars! The sidewalks here are horrible! (Mom take note haha)

Now I'm getting ready for bed and my first day of classes tomorrow! I'm really excited. I'm going to post some pictures of my house on here too.

P.S.. Weather is great--81 today!

-Whitney

3 comments:

  1. Have a fantastic day at school honey! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I am getting a great glimpse of what you are doing. I love the updates. I can just see you, this cute little blond woman weaving through the streets looking for the mall.

    Thank you so much for the pictures. It is just so hard to picture your life there and they really help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be the best learning experience (language & cultural) of your life thus far!! Buena suerte en la escuela!

    ReplyDelete